SSMT 2017: Verse 1!

Hey, Everybody! Drumroll please! Welcome to the 2017 Siesta Scripture Memory Team! The entry of your Verse 1 selection acts as your registration. Please read this brief post before you leave your comment so you’ll know exactly how to do it. We are not legalistic about much around here but I am a drill sergeant about the precise way we accept comments for SSMT verse entries. One perusal through the first several hundred comments and you’ll understand why. It’s such a powerful sight you will almost want to cry. Or shout. Or throw your head back and howl your loudest hallelujah. It just all depends on how you process a fresh glimpse of divine revelation. You’ll have before you a feast spread out lavishly on a huge banqueting table.  Keeping the comments to the bare minimum makes Scripture itself stand out on the page. If we add a lot of other verbiage to the comment, the verse is more likely to get lost in it.

Not only will your soul be fed by the entries of others, you’ll discover verses you didn’t even know existed and get ideas for future selections. Any time you can’t decide what verse to memorize, jump on the comments and see what resonates with you. Any time you feel bone-dry or downcast or distracted or discouraged or just plain directionless, open up the comments on any SSMT post and behold the words of the Lord. It’s so powerful I could slap my desk thinking about it.

OK, this is how the information should appear in your comment:

Name (first is fine), city: verse, reference, Bible translation.

(Don’t forget your translation! People love knowing exactly which translation your selection came from.)

So you’ll have a paradigm for how it looks, here is my entry for Verse 1 and you’ll see at the end of the post where I made a slight little addition to add some soul-deep conviction if you wish:

You get to choose your own verse according to what you need most right now, what resonates with you in your present circumstances or what God just simply seems to land you on. This year I feel like He’s leading me to use my 24 entries to memorize the one-chapter book of Philemon. It contains 25 verses but the last one is easy so I’ll throw it in with my 24th verse as my final entry. I’ve done stacks of spirals full of unrelated Scriptures for my memory work in previous years. Other times I’ve done several different chunks or one solid chapter. There is no wrong way to do it. It just all depends on what the Holy Spirit seems to be energizing us to do. If something about chipping away at one chapter through the course of the year rings your bell, you are so welcome to join me or you can look through the Scriptures and choose a different chapter of similar length. I so loved memorizing Psalm 25 several years ago. I recited it as recently as yesterday. It has 22 verses ready to go if you’d like to consider it. You’d only need to tag on 2 separate verses after you memorized the psalm to fulfill your 24-verse goal. Jude is another one-chapter book I memorized. It contains 25 verses but I will warn you in advance, take that one on only if you like a challenge. It is pretty wordy.

Let’s just add two little words this time to the front of the entry of our first verse: I commit! And go right ahead and add that exclamation mark at the end of it for the sake of some very appropriate enthusiasm. What you’re about to do bears FRUIT. God’s Word does not return empty. He sends it forth with accomplishing power and divine purpose. That’s worth anticipating with excitement. (In fact, Isaiah 55:11 is a fabulous Scripture to memorize if you’re still searching for a great launch verse.) I think we ought to add those two little words because I keep reading how allergic we’re growing culturally to making commitments of almost any kind. I’m sure you’ve read the same thing. But here’s the deal. We will never be mighty servants of Jesus Christ, alive and awake in the Holy Spirit, bringing glory to God the Father all while standing against evil rulers, powers and principalities without commitment.

Ain’t happenin’.

Nothing was tentative to those early New Testament believers about following Jesus. They didn’t fulfill their callings by being scared of commitment. They gave Him their lives. They bore His name. They testified to the death. Let’s do this thing, Sisters. Let’s do it deliberately. We’re not destined to be weak-willed women. We’re called to be stunningly strong willed about God’s will. So, here’s my official entry for verse 1 of the Siesta Scripture Memory Team challenge of 2017!

I commit! Beth Moore from Houston Texas: “Paul, a prisoner for Christ Jesus, and Timothy our brother, to Philemon our beloved fellow worker.” Philemon 1 ESV

Your turn, sisters! Try to make each of your entries within 24-48 hours after the posts go up around the 1st and the 15th of each month. Also remember not to worry if you don’t see your comment posted for a day or so. Wait a while before you post the same verse a second time. We moderate all comments to filter through spam and trash and general nastiness so the process can take a little time. Here we go! I’m beside myself with joy. Thank you for the privilege to store up the very words of God with you. They are life and breath to us. Iron in our blood. Steel in our bones. So much love to you.

5,321 Responses to “SSMT 2017: Verse 1!”

Comments:

Karen Russell says:

Yakima WA, I COMMIT: PSALM 119:6-8 NIV 1984 6 Then I would not be put to shame when I consider all Your commands. 7 I will praise You with an upright heart as I learn Your righteous laws. 8 I will obey Your decrees; do not utterly forsake me.

Tori says:

Tori Elmer, Louisana
    Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord! Psalm 27:14 ESV

Lois Lorentzen says:

Galatians 5:1 (NIV)
    ‘It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.”

Janet Waid says:

Isaiah 55:13 NKJV. ” Instead of the thorn shall come up the cypress tree and instead of the brier shall come up the myrtle tree. And it shall be to the Lord for a name, for an everlasting sign that shall not be cut off.”

Karen Cunningham says:

Karen from Bronson, Texas
    As a father shows compassion to his children, so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear him.
    Psalms 103:13 ESV

April says:

FOR GOD DID NOT GIVE US A SPIRIT OF FEAR
    BUT OF POWER, LOVE & DISCIPLINE
    2 TIMOTHY 1:7 (ASV)

Mary Ann says:

Mary Ann from Texas

“And God chose me to be a preacher,, an apostle, and a teacher of this Good News.” 2 Timothy1:11 NLT

Sarai says:

Brooklyn, New York: “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth”. Acts 1:8 NIV

Jen Redcay says:

Verse 13..” For He has strengthened the bars of your gates; He has blessed your children within you.” Psalm 147:13 NKJV

Jaycee Redcay says:

Verse 11&12 “Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation;continuing instant prayer.” “Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.” Romans 12:12-13 KJV

Virginia Rust says:

Virginia from Elgin, TX
    Jonah obeyed the word of the LORD and went to Nineveh.
    Jonah 3:3 NIV

Tori says:

Tori Elmer Louisiana
    Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take. Proverbs 3:6 NLT

Karen Russell says:

Yakima WA, I COMMIT: PSALM 119:9-11 NIV 1984 9 How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to Your word. 10 I seek You with all my heart; do not let me stray from Your commands. 11 I have hidden Your word in my heart that I might not sin against You.

Janet Waid. says:

Oh sing to the Lord a new song, sing to the Lord all the earth.

NKJV
    Psalm 96:1

Mary Ann says:

Mary Ann from Texas

“That is why I am suffering here in prison. But I am not ashamed of it, for the one in whom I trust, and I am sure that He is able to guard what I have entrusted to Him until the day of His return.” 2 Timothy 1:12 NLT

Sarai says:

Brooklyn, New York: For the LORD God is a sun and shield.The LORD bestonows favor and honor;No good thing does He withhold from those whose walk is blameless”. Psalm 84:11 NIV

Lois Lorentzen says:

Col. 4:6 (NIV)
    “Let your conversations be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.”

Diane Linger says:

From Diane, Columbus, OH, two extra verses to be catch up in July – Galations 5:13 You were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. NASB

Ps 119:133 Establish my footsteps in Thy word, and do not let any iniquity have dominion over me. NASB

Gal. 6:9 And let us not lose heart in doing good,for in due time we shall reap if we do not grow weary. NASB

April says:

PSALM 46:10 (NIV)
    HE SAYS, “BE STILL AND KNOW THAT I AM GOD;
    I WILL BE EXALTED AMOUNG THE NATIONS,
    I WILL BE EXALTED IN THE EARTH

Tammy Skogen says:

Saul said to him, “You are blessed my son, David. You will certainly do great things and will also prevail.” Then David went on his way on Saul returned home. 1 Samuel 26:25 HCSB

Jen Redcay says:

Verse 14….”He makes peace in your borders, and fills you with the finest wheat.” Psalm 147:14 nkjv

Rona Howard says:

Rona Howard, Fort Worth, TX
    Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
    Romans 12:2 (NIV)

If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
    John 8:31-32 (NIV)