The Luke Challenge Takeaways

As promised, here’s your space to share any brief takeaways or reflections if you took the Luke Challenge! Share even if you were not able to get it all done in 30 days and it’s months from the time you started! This is about increasingly knowing “This Jesus,” not about following rules. Someone suggested, and I think it’s a great idea, that you not look ahead and see what other people wrote as their takeaways before you write your comment. Just write your own. Don’t feel under pressure to match what someone else has said. Some people are wordier here than others and some more flowery. That doesn’t mean they got more out of it. Some of you are suffering so deeply that simply reading it and writing down three or four words is a huge act of faith. This is about you and your own journey with Jesus through Luke’s Gospel. No competition or comparisons allowed.

Let me know if you are going on to Acts! No pressure there either! Many of you are starting other Bible studies soon and will be devoting your time to those. We love serving you here at Living Proof so much. You are tremendously loved by Christ who calls you.

Love, Beth

116 Responses to “The Luke Challenge Takeaways”

Comments:

LaDonna Hankinson says:

Hi There. I recently started listening to your podcast. I drive a lot for my job and love to listen to God’s truth. You mentioned on there (your girl A-Z talk) to come to your blog for a copy of the scriptures verses on fear. I can’t seam to find them.
    can you please give me some direction?

LaDonna

Paula Fletcher says:

Jesus was One with humble but complete authority. He saw the unnoticed. He spoke truth regardless if it pleased people or won friends. He valued people regardless of gender, race or socioeconomic status- He looked at their hearts. He turned the world upside down from the beginning! Virgin birth? Shepherds working the night shift? Jesus did not avoid controversy. He asked questions that made people think about who He was and who they were in light of that. He was truly “a Man of the people” not of the prideful leaders. He ate some fish to show His tribe that He had really risen! He valued humility. He told us to come to Him like little children, putting all our stuff in His hands and to trust His heart. He is beyond worthy.

Lisa says:

Thank you for giving us this challenge. I loved it!

I don’t have time to write all my takeaways. I saw so much about Jesus’ character! But the two things I have been pondering are:
    1. Jesus wants us to hear His words and obey.
    2. Jesus is a great teacher. I am a teacher and I am amazed at all the methods He uses to communicate and connect with people. I want to be like Him.

I loved this challenge so much that I plan to use it with my sophomore girls discipleship group this year as a simple bible study to help us get to know Jesus.

Lacy says:

The Luke challenge was not a disappointment!! Here are some big takeaways from the study this month:
    1) Intentionality! God is so intentional, deliberate and sovereign in the way He prepares people and circumstances for the great works He intends to accomplish…even to a full inn in Bethlehem. He is equipping his people way in advance of sending them – usually before anyone else even knows he is at work. Even with Jesus’ life, God’s grace was upon him as He grew (2:40) and then later, He grows in favor with God and man (2:40). God’s work starts on the inside and then is seen on the outside. (My daughter compared it to a seed that no one sees being prepared until it breaks through the soil. ) He is moving in, out and around us constantly!
    2) Our solitary places with God are desperately needed! Jesus so often went to lonely places and mountains to pray and receive from God – especially in crucial decisions and events like choosing His disciples, preparing for ministry, & going to the cross. His pattern was to receive from the Father and then give.

Other highlighted takeaway gems:
    – In surrender to the Father’s will and prayer, Jesus received strength. In sleep, the disciples came up exhausted.
    – God reveals His work to people who are available, praising, waiting, humble hearted, filled w/ the Spirit, and full of faith.
    – Jesus doesn’t miss people – He heals all who come to Him. He notices the broken.
    – Sometimes rejection by some, can be God moving us to a different area.
    – God is a giver! Ask boldly.
    – Lost people draw Him. He is merciful beyond understanding or expectation!
    – Jesus addresses the real questions people have, not just the ones they ask. He doesn’t coddle. He speaks into the lies & brokenness and say what the listener needs to hear.
    – Luke is really Part 1 – Us watching and learning from Him. Acts is Part 2 – God’s people going like Him in His power.
    – God’s love is breathtaking – both supernatural and intense. One with gently passionate eyes piercing our pride and dark with His overwhelming love. He laid down His life for us!

Ready to move on to Acts. Thanks for the challenge!!

Jennifer says:

Absolulty loved the Luke challenge and I have already moved on to Acts. I was mostly drawn to how many times Jesus retreated into the wilderness or a deserted place. And also, I was pulled into how many places women were found “in the scene” and at work in the ministry of Jesus. Thank you for such a wonderful suggestion!

Rita Crawford says:

I finished the Luke challenge a few weeks ago and am working on Acts 16 right now. I loved the Luke challenge an do feel closer to Jesus and able to understand more than I ever have before. Acts was a bit harder for me to write to Jesus about, but it is going well now. Love the challenges Beth, thank you!

Alisha Fox says:

Just finished Luke this morning! I took me two months, but with two littles in the house I think I did pretty good 🙂
    Jesus you are humble, wise, without pomp and circumstance. So much more…you know my heart but my children are calling 🙂

Lynn says:

Coming in late here, but here are some things I wrote to the Lord. This is good idea you had, Beth. It kept my thoughts personally connected to the Lord Jesus:

“Luke 1: “Most excellent Theophilus” – Lord Jesus, it is as though You are speaking to me in this verse, for the name means “Friend of God.” Was Theophilus a particular man? Or is this an address to each and every one of Your children who have loved You down through the ages? Or both? Whatever the case, by addressing this gospel to Theophilus, I take to mean You, Lord Jesus, are speaking to me through Luke, for I love You, because You first loved me – I, too, am Theophilus! You are speaking to me.”

“Luke 3: . . . I can’t understand Your genealogy, Lord, when I compare it to Matthew, even though I’m told Matthew traces the line of Joseph, and Luke gives the lineage of Mary. But what I do know is You entered into humanity and are also descended from Adam, as we all are. Thank You. There is, therefore, a distant to be sure, but a real human relationship we have, Lord Jesus. I am a very distant cousin, or niece of Yours. It will be so much fun in eternity to get to know all the humans there, and to know how we are related from earth, and how we all are related to You, with respect to Your humanity. You are some kind of cousin or uncle to me! We have the same Great Grandpa Noah, and Adam. Eve was our Great Grandma! Somehow, I have a [familial] relationship to You, Jesus. That is so much fun to think about. Good night!”

“Luke 9: . . . When You returned from the Mount, You healed the boy possessed of a demon. The disciples couldn’t cast it out. Before this, You had given them authority to cast out demons. But they couldn’t cast this one out. In another gospel You said this kind comes out only by prayer. I take that to mean, there are some demons too strong for us, and we must turn to You in prayer. Lord, I will assume all demons are too strong for me, and I will ask You to handle them. My Big Brother will beat them back for me! Thank You that You are strong enough!”

Well, there’s more, including Luke’s mention of women which was encouraging, but those were some thoughts. Thanks again!

Heather Rattray says:

One of the things I loved seeing was how Jesus responded to the people. He had so much love and compassion for the people. The contrast to how he related to the Pharisees and teachers of the law was super interesting. For sure he came to seek and save the lost.

I’m in for Acts!

Trula Jaffarian says:

I began the Luke Challenge on August 23 and finished reading Luke on September 23. I am so thankful for the accountability to do this and I learned many interesting facts (i.e. Jesus was tempted for 40 days–I thought he fasted 40 days and then was tempted 3 times). One take-away:
    Jesus, human but praying often for God’s presence and Spirit to work in and through him, spoke purposefully and strategically even when it provoked animosity in the hearers. Already in Luke 6, Jesus healed on the Sabbath, pointing out that doing good on God’s Sabbath might actually be a good thing. Some of his hearers disagreed. Application: Pray and be purposeful, led by the Spirit.
    Now I am reading through Luke’s Acts account of the early Christian witness of believers.

Jodi Moore says:

Following Jesus isn’t easy, but it’s worth it.

And when you stumble on the path He will graciously help you up with a word of encouragement, dust you off, take you by the hand and continue the journey.

Kathi says:

Ughhh. Did not know this was happening. Missed it. So Yes, I will be doing the Acts part of it. Sounds awesome. Thanks guys!

Kathi,