I LOVED PORTLAND

I love them, I loved them, I loved them, I LOVED THEM! Siestas, thank you so much for your powerful prayers for a God-show at the Portland Living Proof Live. We had a whopping 7,300 women (astounding numbers to us from that area of the county) from the beautiful Northwest who hit that place SERIOUS about worship and Bible Study. The Holy Spirit was so thick in Memorial Coliseum at Rose Quarter that I got chill bumps the second I hit that platform. I can’t remember if that particular thing has ever happened before. Honestly, the hair stood straight up on my arms. All the events are memorable and special to me in one way or another but sometimes Christ seems to go out of His way to show Himself present. I think maybe He did it this time to show His great affection to these mighty warriors of the faith who must feel substantially outnumbered at times. They were the kind of group that, when I tried to wrap up the lesson at 9:00 PM on Friday night, they yelled for us to keep going. We’d already been going strong for two solid hours. It was unbelievable. I will never forget them. I LOVED THEM. And, if you were there, Girlfriend, I loved you.

I wanted to share with you a little something that I shared with them. I wasn’t the only person from Houston, Texas in Portland, Oregon this weekend. The Houston Rockets also descended en masse upon Rose City to go into playoffs against the Portland Trailblazers, best out of seven. In fact, they were playing right next door to the arena where our event was being held and the basketball would officially hit the floor on Saturday just six hours after we vacated the premises. My group seemed a bit amazed at the coincidence but I assured them that the line-up was not at all unusual. Yao Ming and I are BFF, and, as we each plan our year, we often schedule our events together. In fact, I reminded my group of the huge mural on the side of their basketball arena right outside our event door with the Trailblazers’ Big Three on it and shared what Houstonians see on the side of our arena and on numerous billboards around town:

One reason we schedule our LPL events to end at noon is so that I can freshen up, change clothes and head on down to the arena where the Rockets then play in that particular city so that I can give Yao a hand.

We (Yao and I) did pretty well last night but, now that I’ve fallen so in love with Portland, I don’t want to make a big deal of it. After all, the one huge thing we learned this weekend is that, if Christ is going to be formed in us (Galatians 4:19), we better be crucified to these big, fat egos of ours (Galatians 2:20). That’s why I just wear basic black and white on the court. I don’t want to draw attention to myself.

200 Responses to “I LOVED PORTLAND”

Comments:

Anonymous says:

Thank you for a yucky Monday morning laugh to start my day. Too funny. I love you to pieces.

Angie

Jackie says:

Thanks for making me smile on a dreary Monday morning! I’m so glad you had such a big turnout in Portland. Our God is truly awesome!

Anonymous says:

Ah have stahted readin this blog in a Miss Beth Texas accent in mah mind most days, and today..

..it was good I’d already made a stop in the little girls before I read this post.

Ah’m loving the person smart enough to do up these pictures. I cannot wait until my little boys wake up so I can show them “my friend”.

Anne

Summer says:

I love you, Ms. Beth! You’re so funny! I’m so glad the conference went well too!! We were praying!

Rachel says:

OH….MY! gal I can’t believe I never figured out about your secret life in NBA.

I’m hoping to come with a group of women to your conference in Springfield, IL in November, so save me a seat, will ya? 🙂 Can’t wait!

p.s. I thought you might appreciate the fact the we got a puppy this weekend. He’s a mutt and he adorable! Also maybe more work than a newborn baby. We named him, Toby. Toby Becks. His middle name is Becks. Our 5 year old son wanted to name him Becks, (which I think is adorable. my bf’s name is Becky, so…) 🙂 but when we told him that Toby meant God is good, he said, “OK, I think he should be Toby Becks.” He totally digs God! He hasn’t actually asked him to live in his heart, but I can tell he doesn’t quite fully grasp it yet. Anyway, i could ramble all day about Noah. 🙂

Julie says:

I am laughing! What a cute post. Great way for me to start the week. Lots of love, Julie

missyg says:

This is scary how real these look. I mean, now I doubt every picture I’ve seen that I haven’t taken myself. A BIG Shout Out to whoever came up with this.Awesomely hilarious!!

Lauren Kelly says:

This is WAY funny, Beth!!!!! You would be the best player/or coach, truly!!!! :O) and please don’t be intimidated by the tall dude. You have God on your team and he knows how to move around the court!

So glad God revealed himself in Portland!!!

Shelly says:

Oh…my….word!

Anonymous says:

So Funny!! What great PICS!
    And Praise God for His outpouring on you and those sisters that you fed and ministered to. In Jesus’ Love Kathy Knoblock

Anonymous says:

Way to funny!!!
    I am so jealous but holding on until you come to my neck of the woods. Plus I have all 8 plus 1 extra verse under my belt! I’m Celebration bound for sure!
    Jan

Redeemed says:

Oh. My.

Unlike the slogan of “sir Charles Barkley” a few years back, Sister, you ARE a role model.

And a FUNNY ONE at that!

And it must be said, you have great hair on the court. hee hee
    So glad you all were blessed in Portland!

Denise Graham says:

I would just like to praise the Lord for Him letting LPM come to Portland this weekend and making a way for us to be there. It was AWESOME! I came with my husband, he said that he never had been around so many women in his life!! But God was so present there and spoke to me and my husband in such a powerful way, he even got all teary and he said he felt such the presence of the Lord.
    The Lord has been telling my that I need to crucify myself for some time but just the conformation that He brings us is so overwhelming. Galatians 2:20 has been one of my memory verses for this year it was my February 15th verse!! The Lord is just so sweet and gentle with us sometimes even when we need a good kick in the hind end, he moves in us with such sweetness I just want to grab Him and give Him such a squeeze. Thank you again Beth for letting the Lord work through you so mightly. Your minisitry is a God send. And your sense of humor is GREAT.
    I hope and pray that you will be able to come again to Portland and I will be there for sure.
    Thank you.
    Denise

Anonymous says:

You are cracking me up. What fun! Glad to hear of God’s work in Portland. You are a blessing to so many. We love you.

Mandy
    GA

Just Me (MsDunny) says:

You go, girl!! I had no idea you had so many various talents!!

Heiress of God says:

Mama Beth….

How Awesome is He to give you such a wonderful group of women to share your passion with! Oh I would have loved to have been there with you all.

Your post is an ever present reminder how I love that you are so real and fun. Thank you for sharing you with us.

Loving you with all He has given me to love with.

Lichelle

Linda says:

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for the wonderful teaching in Portland. It was truly a blessing. I cannot wait to see God fill up my form as I crucify my ego daily.

You are a blessing, Beth. Thank you for all your service to the Lord.

Linda in Bend, OR

Jina says:

LOVE YOU BACK BETH!!!

This is a scripture that is in my arsenal. I know you probably know it, but just wanted to encourage you this morning.

Psalm 34
    [a]A psalm of David, regarding the time he pretended to be insane in front of Abimelech, who sent him away.
    1 I will praise the Lord at all times.
    I will constantly speak his praises.
    2 I will boast only in the Lord;
    let all who are helpless take heart.
    3 Come, let us tell of the Lord’s greatness;
    let us exalt his name together.
    4 I prayed to the Lord, and he answered me.
    He freed me from all my fears.
    5 Those who look to him for help will be radiant with joy;
    no shadow of shame will darken their faces.
    6 In my desperation I prayed, and the Lord listened;
    he saved me from all my troubles.
    7 For the angel of the Lord is a guard;
    he surrounds and defends all who fear him.

My heart for you is that every time Satan attacks you with fear, you shout I fear God and God alone…

Okay, please know this encouragement is only out of a heart to obey and serve.

Blessings on your day,
    Jina

Anonymous says:

As usual, you are a nut! I mean that in a good way – you always make me laugh as well as bless my socks off! Thank you.

I prayed for you all weekend and for the ladies that you met in Portland. Glad to hear all went wonderfully.

May God continue to bless you, your precious family and the Living Proof Ministry.

Forever His,

Lawan Rivera
    Phil 4:8

drea says:

You crack my up!!!

I know that they all LOVED you too!

A Woman of Righteous Confidence says:

You are so absolutely hilarious! I was SO sad to miss LPL in Portland. Ministry obligations at home kept me from it. But I heard that God revealed Himself in amazing ways. Meeting with a friend this morning to hear all about it and hope some of it rubs off on me!

Cindy- My Life HIS Story says:

Praising God for a great LPL and thanking Him that those big ol’ fat egos of those basketball players have a Siesta’s hand to keep them humble and in line.
    Okay. I literally laughed out loud. I’m with Melissa. You are out of control.

One question. Does this make you a ‘balla’?
    (I really hope that doesn’t mean something ugly!)

Ann says:

For months I have anticipated this conference – knowing that not only was God going to be present, but my best friend of over 20 years and our M-E-N were with us! We were all so blessed, and I don’t think one of the men would mind if I shared his 1st night’s homework: Surrounded-by-women, Help-me-please! I laughed so hard!

Oh we had such laughs and I felt the Lord’s presence all over that arena!

Ann – Albany OREGON

Gayle @ thewestiecrew says:

HAAAAAA!!!

Anonymous says:

I was born,bred & raised in the near suburbs of Portland. It's where I traveled from my God to seek him in other places – some of them could have been dangerous had He not already sealed me. It's also where, in His love and faithfulness, blessed me beyond measure by instroduced me to my godly man and with his help reigned me back in. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU for your faithfulness to keep returning to our corner – we so need Jesus up here and we've gotten so far away! I pray that our time together last weekend ripples far into the lives of every Northwesterner!
    Grace and Peace!
    Dana Mohr

Bonnie/Momof3 says:

Beth,

These pictures made me laugh … so funny, and yes, I think you could coach those boys with a little spiritual pep talk. “Soar like eagles young men, do not give into temptation, now get your mind in the game and go win it for the Lord; God is your defense and offense; take a charge for HIM ALONE” You get my drift!

I was stranded in the Houston airport for 5 hours last Saturday during the thunderstorms waiting for a connecting flight to Atlanta. I had been to a wedding in Lafayette Friday night and flew the next morning into bad weather in Houston. I have such a heavy heart right now … heavy, heavy and I fancied now nice it would have been to see you there in the Continental wing of the George Bush airport just to ask you to pray for me. However, I spent those 5 hours in prayer and in my Bible and even had my spiral index cards of memory verses. I never knew the verses I had chosen would speak to me like they are now. When your heart is broken into tiny pieces, God’s word is salve to the soul.

I can’t wait to come back to Houston in January to recite my verses with my fellow siestas. Oh, how precious are his words to our memorizing souls.

Love from Atlanta!

Siesta OC says:

I need a support group of women to talk about how much I love you, OH WAIT – I HAVE ONE, BIBLE STUDY!

We adore you and more importantly what you do. I can’t think of anyone I love to know God is using so powerfully.

Thanks for all you do.

PS: the sorta-creepy pic, made me smile.

StacyRea says:

Beth! Thank you so much for coming to Portland. My mom took my sister and I- it was incredible.
    Now we are telling everyone you are our BFF! 🙂

Kim Safina says:

The Journey Continues ~

SHOOT FOR TWO!!!

GO TEAM GO!!!

WE WILL ROCK THEM!!!

HEY,HEY WHAT DO YOU SAY…
    TAKE THE BALL THE OTHER WAY!!!

S C O R E !!!!

With “Heaven Bound” blessings,
    Kim Safina

Leelee says:

Oh my dear goodness… ROTFL! Glad you had a good time in Portland!

Cindy in Ferndale says:

Beth the pictures of you will make me smile all day! :o)

Michelle V says:

Oh how fun! Beth, you are a hoot!

Blessings
    michelle

Susie T says:

Beth….you are a hoot!

Susie Tiemeyer
    Houston, TX

P.S. Go Rockets!

Values Mom says:

Glad you had such a wonderful weekend! I watched the game and saw a small blond blur in heels dunk from the freethrow line and had no idea it was our own Mama Siesta, Beth Moore! Talk about multitasking!! LOL!

LoriE says:

Hi Beth,
    I was in Portland this past weekend also! I came with a group of 17 women from Snohomish, WA and all of us had a wonderful time. We LOVED you too!
    I wanted to share with you one of the best parts of the weekend for me. I brought my sister-in-law who is a fairly new believer and who still has a lot of questions about God. She was pretty skeptical about spending a weekend with over 7000 “crazy Christian women”!
    After the Friday night session she shared with me that she was awestruck. When I asked her what that meant and she replied that she had never in her life felt God’s presence, but she KNEW that He was in that room that night!
    Praise the Lord!!

I had 2 six word messages from God:
    I AM. Not you. Not anyone.
    Fear is a lie. I’m not.

Thank you for your love and passion Beth!

Lori Eaton

hisfivefooter says:

I was in Portland even though I live near Seattle. The Holy Spirit FELL something serious. Her message was one of the meatiest of hers I have ever sat under for just two days! I have been walking around at different times saying aloud to God, “Crucify it! Now, please!” Thank you so much for such a great word. Angela (puzzlepiece sista) and I were having it out with the enemy of our souls 15 minutes before we were supposed to be leaving for the arena. I mean, I almost called 911 because of what was going on until we started speaking His name and using scripture over the situation and immediately it stopped. We had known that it was going to be something amazing in Portland because for the last two weeks it has felt literally like all heck was breaking loose. Stuff was crawling out of the woodwork to be exposed to the light. Just in passing, I want to testify as a confirming word that praying God’s word is where The Power is. His word has become such a part of Who I am that I cannot get away from it in almost every conversation. I actually don’t think He trusts me to say my words (with good reason I might add) and so all He constantly gives me is His. “His word was in my heart like a burning fire shut up in my bones; I was weary of holding it back, and I could not.” Jeremiah 20:9
    Beth, my six words at the end were, of course scripture: “Christ in me, hope of glory”. I love you all, Travis rocked (and I’m going to tell him so), especially on his new “Victory in Jesus” which had all of us jumping! Praying for your sleep patterns.
    Lisa in Kirkland, WA

gaetakd says:

Beth we loved you too! I was the loud mouth who shouted keep going when you tried to close at 9pm (You know, I’m kinda proud of that – how sad is that! LOL!!!). Like you said at the conference I need Jesus and I am NOT ashamed!

You come back ANYTIME and I’ll be there,
    Krista

Vicki Sandifer says:

You are a funny funny woman. Glad to hear it was a great weekend.
    Vicki – Alabama

Karla says:

Can’t wait to see pictures (set to Cotrell’s music of course) of the weekend in Portland!

Carla says:

Beth you are hysterical!! How do you come up with this stuff? I don’t see how you guys get any work done there at LPM. Don’t you just love knowing that you can have fun while serving the Lord too? By the way, I just love,love, love you somuch I can’t stand it! You have taught me so much about loving and livng God’s word, THANKS Carla Lee

Lex says:

Hahaha… this is one of the funniest things I’ve read in a long time :). You’re the best, Beth!

I’m actually choked up to hear about the atmosphere in Portland. I’m from eastern Oregon and know that the NW needs God! Praise the Lord for such a fantastic turnout :).

Betsy Watters says:

Beth,

God did drop in Portland! Thank you for allowing God to use you to teach us His word. Each of the women I came with (from Bellingham, WA) were all profoundly impacted. Each of us heard the Spirit speak to a specific and unique area of our lives. As you taught some of the verses from Galatians I found myself wondering, “Has that always been there?” Of course it had been, but it came alive to me in such a new way. It was a timely message.

Beth I just love you. Thank you for all the preparation you go through to teach, write, encourage and challenge women to love and serve Jesus and each other. You are a blessing.

Betsy

Mama Bev says:

I’m so grateful to God for how He worked this weekend. Please, Miss Beth, continue to come to Idaho, to Spokane, to Portland –you are such an encouragement to us!

Anonymous says:

I was in Portland, and I’m still crying over the thing. I brought my sweet daughter, pregnant and not active in the Word. She was actually standing and singing by the end of it all, praise God. I am constantly in prayer for both of my children, and to see the Lord beginning to soften their hearts a little bit gives me so much hope. I know He was there in the Coliseum, I am so thankful for the time spent with other faithful women here. Thank you so very much for putting Portland on the map for this year, it was truly wondrous to come together to worship in the Northwest.
    And now that the Blazers have been truly humbled, I hope they come out in a powerful way themselves tomorrow night as mighty warriors. Yao will just have to get along without you.
    Debbie
    Portland, OR

jeannette says:

Beth – I was there. God showed up! (SIX words!)

Thanks for being a faithful servant. Will you post the affirmation from the end of the conference on the blog?

Love you!

kathy pink bicycle arknasas says:

You’re so clever! That’s why we love you.

Now can you just put yourself into my insurance adjusters place? My car was rear ended last week (the other dirver had no ins) and I have just found out the adjuster not wanting to total my car has written an esitmate that is “not legal” according to two body shops! We’re “fighting”

jkspes says:

Only in heaven will you know how strategically God used you Beth in Portland!!! We were so blessed and are being morphed. From a large group of women from one of the largest churches in the Portland area. Words cannot express our gratefulness to you for letting God use you “For such a time as this!”

Anonymous says:

I truly enjoyed the Portland Conference. Since Beth spoke on “ego” I hope her “ego” isn’t terribly wounded when I say I’d never heard of her until a few friends asked me to attend. WOW–I will definitely remember her name now.

jkspes says:

Is there anyway to get a copy of Beth’s basic outline – I was writing so fast I hope I can decipher it all?

Stephanie says:

Beth, Thank you for letting God show himself through you. I had an amazing time in Portland this weekend. There were 19 of us and we loved every minute of it. I wasn’t expecting a touch from God for me, but for my friends. But let me tell you what – I am from Texas and moved to Washington 3 years ago. To hear God’s message spoken to me through a wonderful southern accent was the icing on the cake! He touched me so deeply through you and I am eternally greatful. We love you too!